The South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) was founded in 2010 by Dr Celia van Wyk. Sastas provides training and events to practitioners and those who are interested in becoming therapists.
Our focus is on creating interest in Jungian Sandplay Therapy and Training.
Sastas promotes “Health & Healing Transformation through the use of Sandplay Therapy”, with its main focus in South Africa, although training is open to students from all over the globe.
Through the training administered and organised by the South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) many practitioners and therapists have been trained since February 2012.
Training standards and certification requirements are managed by Sastas and AST (The Association for Sandplay Therapy).
Training will contribute towards AST membership and certification processes if applicable, and students will gain HPCSA CPD/CEU credits with certain courses.
Please contact us for any further information, or if you have any questions or suggestions for us
Tel +27 11 794-2750
About Dr Celia van Wyk
Celia van Wyk Dr Alt. Med. B.A Counsel. Ph.D. (Mental Health) completed her Advanced Post
Graduate Training in Sandplay Therapy in the USA with Dr. Barbara Turner in March 2011 and is a Registered Sandplay Therapist-Consultant / Teacher (STR-CT).
About AST and Dr Barbara Turner
The Association for Sandplay Therapy AST) is a non-profit organisation and international professional society, formed in January 2015 by Dr Barbara Turner.
AST’s charter explains beautifully who they are and what they do:
“The Association for Sandplay Therapy, the Association is formed this day, 12th January 2015, in Cloverdale, California. The Association, is an international professional society, organized as a Non Profit Corporation in the State of California...
Publications and articles by Dr Celia van Wyk, SASTAS and others:
Our students report that our Sandplay therapy
training courses in South Africa are professional, of very
high standard, balanced and as an asset to their résumés and practices. What more can we ask for?
This is what some of them had to say about the past few years' training courses:
Celia van Wyk Dr Alt. Med. B.A Counsel. Ph.D. (Mental Health) is the founder and administrator of Sastas. She is also board member of AST (Association for Sandplay Therapy).
Celia has undergone studies and intensive training in Sandplay Therapy in various countries, presented by AST (Association for Sandplay Therapy) and ISST (International Society for Sandplay Therapists). Celia completed her Advanced Post Graduate Training in Sandplay Therapy in the USA with Dr. Barbara Turner in March 2011 and is a registered Sandplay therapist. She is the first registered Sandplay therapist – supervisor (teacher) under AST in South Africa, and in Africa / South Africa (2015). She has completed her personal Sandplay process and supervision under the leadership of her Sandplay mentors. She completed her Doctoral Degree in Mental Health in November 2015. Celia is a registered mental and natural health practitioner and Sandplay therapist, who provides Sandplay therapy to adults as well as children in her practice in Johannesburg, South Africa. She also serves as group and individual consultation-, and personal process supervisor, and advisor for Sandplay therapy students nationally and internationally who need to complete certain criteria in order to become certified Sandplay therapists.
Celia has written several published articles on Sandplay therapy, as well as published papers and research. She has been invited on several psychotherapeutic meetings, workshops and occasions in South Africa to act as speaker on Sandplay therapy. She is passionate about her work as a mental health practitioner and especially about Jungian Sandplay therapy.
She is married to Dr Pieter van Wyk, her husband of over 35 years. They have 3 beautiful daughters, a great son-in-law, a precious toddler grandson and a cherished little baby granddaughter! The van Wyk household further consists of 2 dogs (the sweetest Beagles Khoki and Sally), 2 cats (Klokkies and Misty), 2 tortoises (Skillie and Skillietjie), and a cute tamed hen (Pik), and lots of laughter and fun!
About AST - The Association for Sandplay Therapy
The Association for Sandplay Therapy (AST) is a non-profit organisation and international professional society, formed in January 2015 by Dr Barbara Turner.
AST’s charter explains beautifully who they are and what they do:
“The Association for Sandplay Therapy, the Association is formed this day, 12th January 2015, in Cloverdale, California. The Association, is an international professional society, organized as a Non Profit Corporation in the State of California, for the purpose of maintaining the high standards of training and practice of Sandplay Therapy among mental health clinicians. The Association certifies Sandplay Trainings and teaching materials used by members for Sandplay education.
The Association grants Registration as a Sandplay Therapist to mental health clinicians who demonstrate significant training and experience in Sandplay Therapy as outlined in the Registration Requirements below. Registration in Sandplay Therapy acknowledges that the clinician has completed training sufficient to practice as a Sandplay Therapist and to use the designation, Registered Sandplay Therapist – STR. The Association grants Registration as a Sandplay Therapist-Supervisor to mental health clinicians who demonstrate significant training, experience and preparedness to teach and supervise Sandplay Therapy. Registration as a Supervisor in Sandplay Therapy entitles the clinician to use the designation, Registered Sandplay Therapist-Supervisor – STR-S.
The Association is founded on the core principles of Sandplay practice taught by Dora Kalff, of Switzerland. These include clarity of mind, heart and action in Sandplay Therapy, with full acknowledgement that it is a great responsibility and an honor to practice Sandplay. In order to bring these qualities to our Sandplay work Members recognize that they must live their lives with personal and communal integrity, with kindness, loving compassion, humility, transparency and playfulness. These qualities constitute the governing foundations of the Association.
The Association is dedicated to promotion of Sandplay education and training to mental health clinicians and to the continued betterment of our Registrants as professionals and as human beings.
As a professional society, the Association grants Registration as Sandplay Therapists to clinicians who have trained sufficiently to practice Sandplay independently in their own clinical settings. The Association and its Members acknowledge and agree that the Registered Sandplay Therapist practices apart from and not under the auspices of the Association. The Association makes no claims of responsibility for any outcomes or liabilities resulting from Members’ actions or behaviors in anyway related to the practice of Sandplay."
About Dr Barbara Turner
Dr Barbara Turner is a well-known and loved Sandplay therapist and trainer. She began her study of Jungian Sandplay therapy with the founder of the method, Dora M. Kalff, in Switzerland in 1988. Her interests and explorations of Sandplay continue to this day.
Dr Turner has done extensive research into the theory and healing process of Sandplay. She focused her doctoral studies on the Sandplay method, writing her dissertation on methods of understanding Sandplay process.
Dr Turner was instrumental in returning the classic books in Sandplay to print, and is the author of what is considered by some to be the authoritative text on Jungian Sandplay, The Handbook of Sandplay Therapy.
Dr Turner has co-authored with Dr Kristín Unnsteinsdottír, Sandplay and Storytelling: The Impact of Imaginative Thinking on Children’s Learning and Development, as well as Sandtray Play in Education.
She has also published The Teachings of Dora Kalff, both of which you can read about on here.
Dr Turner is the founder of the Association for Sandplay Therapy – AST, the international professional organisation dedicated to maintaining the core principles of Sandplay in our work and teaching – clarity, loving kindness & humility.
Dr Barb also teaches Sandplay and play therapy to mental health clinicians internationally, serves as consultant to practicing Sandplay and play therapists, and never tires of the wonders of this amazing healing tool. Her Sandplay
therapy training curriculum in South Africa is an asset to all practittioners who had and still have the opportunity to study with her.
Barbara teaches the theory and principles of Jungian Sandplay therapy online to clinicians through the Temenos Press Learning Center. Dr Turner is also on the faculty of the Academy of Play and Child Psychotherapy where she teaches Foundations & Theory of Sandplay.
Dr Turner has written scholarly articles for The Journal of Sandplay Therapy.
She has published chapters on theoretical aspects of Jungian Sandplay therapy in two books: In The Hands of Creation: Sandplay Images of Birth and Rebirth, Sandplay and the Psyche: Inner Landscapes and Outer Realities. Dr Turner edited the three classic books on Sandplay, and returned them to print: Dora M. Kalff's, Sandplay: A Psychotherapeutic Approach to the Psyche; Estelle L. Weinrib's, Images of the Self: The Sandplay Therapy Process; H.G. Wells' Floor Games: A Father's Account of Play and Its Legacy of Healing. In addition Dr Turner has published
instructive chapters for play therapists in the books: 101 Play Therapy Techniques, 1997; 101 More Play Therapy Techniques, 2001.
Please see http://barbaraturner.org/books for more info.
Dr Turner is also registered as an Accredited Play Therapist with Play Therapy International.
Her credentials include:
1998 PhD California Institute of Integral Studies, San Francisco, Integral Studies – Transformative Learning,1987 MA California Institute of Integral Studies, San Francisco, Counseling Psychology;
1974 BA San Diego State University, Religious Studies: MFT Marriage Family Child Therapist – California, License No. MFC 25907: RPT-S Registered Play Therapist – Supervisor, Certificate No. S396: CST-T Certified Sandplay Therapist – Teacher.
Dr Turner is married and lives with her husband, Dr Thomas Armstrong, in the Northern California wine country town of Cloverdale. They have two small dogs (Dewey the Shih-Tzu and Daisey the mix between Maltese and Shih-tzu, but no one knows for sure!), that love to frolic in their garden.
Dr Barbara enjoys gardening, and doing art work. Her primary medium is fibre and fabric collage. She shows her work in contemporary art galleries in the area.
She practiced psychotherapy with adults and children for over twenty years, and now devotes her professional time to training mental health clinicians in Sandplay therapy.
Our students' report that our Sandplay therapy training courses in South Africa are professional, of very high standard, balanced and as an asset to their résumés and practices. What more can we ask for?
This is what some of them had to say about the past few years' training courses:
- "I loved every minute. Barbara is a fabulous presenter - warm, professional and also fun and human. She was able to “hold” the group very effectively during some very difficult discussions. Barbara is a true professional who uses her knowledge wisely and sensitively. Boundaries were always in place and she helped the group to bond in a beautiful way. Thank you Barbara - it has been a transforming experience."
- "It was an enriching experience and wonderful application of Jungian theory."
- "A very rich learning both personal and for practice - very good balance and it suited me."
- "I am standing at the edge of what I know and don’t know with a greater willingness to change what I do know."
- "Barbara thanks for the training. When a child is making his/her sandplay scene, I can feel your presence and hear your teaching. Thanks once again."
- "Sandplay is a truly remarkable and fantastic tool that assists a client on his/her healing journey on a level that talk therapy
completely misses. That “AHA” moment is certainly amplified and maintained for life because of the client’s sandplay journey."
- "I find Barbara’s way of explaining and teaching (Jungian theory) easy to grasp and understand. It is a privilege to have an
international trainer available to teach us sandplay."
- "Thank you for being a healing teacher."
- "I loved the whole experience. It was very useful to be able to be both the client and the therapist. That helped to integrate the work."
- "I guess it's true that God/the universe sends you your cases... since returning home I have had two awesome cases referred that I just know will be rich sandplay cases for me now that I am more confident with the technique."
- "Very well structured and contained. Supports both intellectual/professional and personal development. Yes, it
may seem pricey, but it is not expensive. The personal and professional growth is priceless."
- "I am so happy I did this course and I believe that my journey with sandplay has just really started. I would love to be a trainer myself one day!"
- "It was absolutely phenomenal. For the first I am so excited to get into practice. This is a complete fit for myself as a therapist. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"
- "I loved having the experience. Thank you Barbara I feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to meet you and start my training and process with you."
- "Back home and still on a high after two wonderful weeks."
- "Thank you for an amazing and beneficial training!"
- "It has been a wonderful journey learning about sandplay therapy, both my journey and the journey the clients have
already done. It has given me huge insight and new eyes to view my new world."
- "It was a wonderful learning experience!!!"
- "A great experience for me as I was unsure as to how I could work with the symbolism involved - but when it becomes so clear in the trays one is left in "wonderment"."
- "Barbara was very sensitive to our needs (I appreciate that in her). She handled every case study with respect. This made the course very special and I will remember it for the rest of my life."
- "Thank you so much Celia and Barbara. I have been on many related workshops in RSA and international and this
training can be rated as one of the best. Barbara you have an excellent capacity to facilitate this with a group process."
- "I feel I have grown up; I feel well-contained within the “free & protected” space provided by the instructor. It was just a fantastic experience and I am glad it’s just the beginning of a long journey. More than a training it was a position that
- "I would encourage all therapists to do this sandplay therapy course in South Africa as it is a valuable tool to implement in your practice. The insight into the client’s psyche will result in healing and growth for both the client and therapist."
- "This is the first time I learned to understand sandplay. Thank you so much."
- "Up to now I used sandplay in a different way with my clients. I will not go back to those ways."
- "I enjoy the way Dr. Barb teaches."
- "This was a wonderful group and course. I learned so much."
- "Thank you for an excellent training. I am looking forward to the follow-up course."
- "It was worthwhile to come to the training from England. Looking forward to the next one here in South Africa."
- "Excellent, excellent, excellent! Thank you!"
- "Africa came into my blood - Africa will stay in my blood."
- "I had an amazing time in Kruger!"
- "This experience changed me forever. I need time to integrate what happened. It was just too wonderful. Thank you Barbara and Celia."
- "Now I look at wild animals in such a different way, especially in the trays of my clients."
- "I was transformed. It feels like a dream."
- "The program was great, and the participants were so warm and friendly. Thank you to everyone who touched my life during this amazing time in Kruger Park, South Africa."
- "I loved all the presentations. It was very informative."
Please contact us for any further information, or if you have any questions or suggestions for us
Tel +27 11 794-2750
All legal matters of the South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) are accepted, handled and filed by our law firm.
All materials used by the South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) including presentation material and photographs that require permission carry a written approval for its use and application.
Sandplay Therapy classes, courses, training, seminars or programs in South Africa cancelled up to and including:
- 90 days prior to scheduled event date are charged 10% administration fee
- 89 - 65 days prior to scheduled event date are charged 25% of course fee
- 64 - 30 days prior to scheduled event date are charged 50% of course fee
- 29 -15 days prior to scheduled event date are charged 75% of course fee
- 14 days or fewer prior to scheduled event date carry NO refunds
- (75% admin fee & 25% of course fee goes to course credit for 2 years from date of original course)
What information do we collect?
The South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) collects information from you when you fill out a form. When ordering or registering on our site, as appropriate, you may be asked to enter you: name, e-mail address or phone number.
What do we use your information for?
Any of the information the South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) collects from you may be used in one of the following ways:
- To personalize your experience (your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs)
- To improve customer service (your information helps us to more effectively respond to your customer service requests and support needs)
How do we protect your information?
The South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) implements a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information when you enter, submit, or access your personal information.
Do we disclose any information to outside parties?
The South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) does not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information.
This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights,
property, or safety. However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
Third party links
Occasionally, at our discretion, the South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) may include or offer third party products or services on our website. These third party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to
protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.
Children's Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance
The South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) is in compliance with the requirements of COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act), we do not collect any information from anyone under 16 years of age. Our website, products and services are all directed to people who are at least 16 years old or older.
Terms and Conditions
Please also visit the South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS)' Terms and Conditions section establishing the use, disclaimers, and limitations of liability governing the use of our website.
This policy was last modified on 2015-06-28
Contacting the South African Sandplay Therapy
http://www.rhinosupport.com/zendesk.htm and save!
Terms and Conditions
These terms and conditions govern your use of this website; by using this website, you accept these terms and conditions in full. If you disagree with these terms and conditions or any part of these terms and conditions, you must not use this website.
You must be at least 16 years of age to use this website. By using this website [and by agreeing to these terms and conditions] you warrant and represent that you are at least 16 years of age.
License to use website
Unless otherwise stated, Sastas and/or its licencors own the intellectual property rights in the website and material on
the website. Subject to the license below, all these intellectual property rights are reserved.
You may view, download for caching purposes only, and print pages from the website for your own personal use, subject to the restrictions set out below and elsewhere in these terms and conditions.
You must not:
- republish material from this website (including republication on another website)
- sell, rent or sub-license material from the website
- show any material from the website in public
- reproduce, duplicate, copy or otherwise exploit material on this website for any commercial purpose
- edit or otherwise modify any material on the website; or
- redistribute material from this website.
You must not use this website in any way that causes, or may cause, damage to the website or impairment of the availability or accessibility of the website; or in any way which is unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful, or in connection with any unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful purpose or activity.
You must not use this website to copy, store, host, transmit, send, use, publish or distribute any material which consists of (or is linked to) any spyware, computer virus, Trojan horse, worm, keystroke logger,root kit or other malicious computer software.
You must not conduct any systematic or automated data collection activities (including without limitation scraping, data mining, data extraction and data harvesting) on or in relation to this website without the express written consent of the South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS)
You must not use this website to transmit or send unsolicited commercial communications
You must not use this website for any purposes related to marketing without the express written consent of the South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS).
Access to certain areas of this website is restricted. The South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) reserves the right to restrict access to any other areas of this website, or indeed this entire website, at the complete discretion of SASTAS.
If the South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) provides you with a user ID and password to enable you to
access restricted areas of this website or other content or services, you must ensure that the user ID and password are kept confidential.
The South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) may disable your user ID and password in SASTAS sole
discretion without notice or explanation.
In these terms and conditions, “your user content” means material (including without limitation text, images, audio material, video material and audio-visual material) that you submit to this website, for whatever purpose.
You grant to the South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) a world wide, irrevocable, non-exclusive,
royalty-free license to use, reproduce, adapt, publish, translate and distribute your user content in any existing or future media. You also grant to the South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) the right to sub-license these rights, and the right to bring an action for infringement of these rights.
Your user content must not be illegal or unlawful, must not infringe any third party's legal rights, and must not be capable of giving rise to legal action whether against you or the South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) or a third party (in each case under any applicable law).
You must not submit any user content to the website that is or has ever been the subject of any threatened or actual legal
proceedings or other similar complaint.
The South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) reserves the right to edit or remove any material submitted to this website, or stored on the servers of Sastas, or hosted or published upon this website.
Notwithstanding the South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) rights under these terms and conditions in relation to user content, Sastas does not undertake to monitor the submission of such content to, or the publication of such content on, this website.
This website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. SASTAS makes no
representations or warranties in relation to this website or the information and materials provided on this website.
Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing paragraph, SASTAS does not warrant that:
- this website will be constantly available, or available at all; or
- the information on this website is complete, true, accurate or
Nothing on this website constitutes, or is meant to constitute, advice of any kind.
Limitations of liability
The South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) will not be liable to you (whether under the law of contact, the law of torts or otherwise) in relation to the contents of, or use of, or otherwise in connection with, this website:
- to the extent that the website is provided free-of-charge, for any direct loss;
- for any indirect, special or consequential loss; or
- for any business losses, loss of revenue, income, profits or anticipated savings, loss of contracts or business relationships, loss of reputation or goodwill, or loss or corruption of information or data.
These limitations of liability apply even if SASTAS has been expressly advised of the potential loss.
Nothing in this website disclaimer will exclude or limit any warranty implied by law that it would be unlawful to exclude or
limit; and nothing in this website disclaimer will exclude or limit the South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) liability in respect of any:
- death or personal injury caused by Sastas negligence;
- fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation on the part of Sastas; or
- matter which it would be illegal or unlawful for Sastas to exclude or limit, or to attempt or purport to exclude or limit, its liability.
By using this website, you agree that the exclusions and limitations of liability set out in this website disclaimer are
reasonable. If you do not think they are reasonable, you must not use this website.
You accept that, as a limited liability entity, SASTAS has an interest in limiting the personal liability of its officers and employees. You agree that you will not bring any claim personally against the South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) officers or employees in respect of any losses you suffer in connection with the website.
Without prejudice to the foregoing paragraph, you agree that the limitations of warranties and liability set out in this website disclaimer will protect Sastas officers, employees, agents, subsidiaries,successors, assigns and sub-contractors as well as SASTAS.
If any provision of this website disclaimer is, or is found to be, unenforceable under applicable law, that will not affect the
enforce-ability of the other provisions of this website disclaimer.
You hereby indemnify the South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) and undertake to keep SASTAS
indemnified against any losses, damages, costs, liabilities and expenses (including without limitation legal expenses and any amounts paid by SASTAS to a third party in settlement of a claim or dispute on the advice of Sastas legal advisers) incurred or suffered by SASTAS arising out of any breach by you of any provision of these terms and conditions, or arising out of any claim that you have breached any provision of these terms and conditions.
Breaches of these terms and conditions
Without prejudice to the South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) other rights under these terms and
conditions, if you breach these terms and conditions in any way, SASTAS may take such action as SASTAS deems appropriate to deal with the breach, including suspending your access to the website, prohibiting you from accessing
the website, blocking computers using your IP address from accessing the website, contacting your internet service provider to request that they block your access to the website and/or bringing court proceedings against you.
The South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) may revise these terms and conditions from time-to-time. Revised terms and conditions will apply to the use of this website from the date of the publication of the revised terms and conditions on this website. Please check this page regularly to ensure you are familiar with the current version.
The South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) may transfer, sub-contract or otherwise deal with Sastas
rights and/or obligations under these terms and conditions without notifying you or obtaining your consent.
You may not transfer, sub-contract or otherwise deal with your rights and/or obligations under these terms and conditions.
If a provision of these terms and conditions is determined by any court or other competent authority to be unlawful and/or
unenforceable, the other provisions will continue in effect. If any unlawful and/or unenforceable provision would be lawful or enforceable if part of it were deleted, that part will be deemed to be deleted, and the rest of the provision will continue in effect.
These terms and conditions, constitute the entire agreement between you and the South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) in relation to your use of this website, and supersede all previous agreements in respect of your use of this website.
Law and jurisdiction
These terms and conditions will be governed by and construed in accordance with South African governing law, and any disputes relating to these terms and conditions will be subject to the [non-]exclusive jurisdictionof the courts of jurisdiction.
Registrations and Authorisations
The South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) is registered as a private company
The South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) registration number is PENDING.
the South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) is subject to authorization scheme, which is supervised by supervisory authority.
The South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) is registered with a professional body.
The South African Sandplay Therapy Association (SASTAS) registered address is Randpark Ridge, Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa.
You can contact us at email@example.com
A copy of the ECT Act is available at http://www.internet.org.za/ect_act.html